G&L USA Basses
Shown in Honeyburst over Swamp Ash, Quartersawn Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard and Light Tint Gloss finish
Evolution is about enhancing and expanding desirable traits while reducing unwanted traits. That was Leo Fender’s† mission for G&L, and that’s exactly what the new MJ-4™ accomplishes The active MJ-4 features G&L’s new Bi-coil Alnico V pickups and MJ-spec preamp/control system for a wide range of single-coil tones from classic jazz to far beyond, all without single-coil hum.
A G&L Alnico Bi-coil pickup looks just like a classic Alnico single-coil, but under the cover are two side-by-side coils, configured in series-humbucking mode. The new pickups are optimized for a specially tuned version of G&L’s studio-quality M-spec preamp and control system, dubbed MJ-spec. The 18v system features volume, pan and +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents, and is powered by twin 9v batteries housed in an easy-access compartment. With an LF442 chip, 100v poly caps, 1% metal film resistors and big, fat signal traces on the mil-spec circuit board, this preamp reveals everything the player and the instrument have to offer.
- • G&L Bi-coil pickups for classic tone without the hum
- • MJ-spec studio-quality 18v preamp
- • Primary volume and pan controls to explore the full range of sounds available between the two pickups
- • +/-14dB 3-band EQ with peripherally placed, center-detent, reduced-diameter knobs
- • An impeccable, familiar “feel” of the instrument in the hands and on the shoulder
- • 1 5/8” nut-width, medium C neck neck profile
- • Medium-Jumbo, Plek-dressed frets
The G&L name, stylized G&L logo, distinctive "hook" headstock design and MJ-4 are registered trademarks or trademarks of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc.
† The personal name, likeness and signature of Mr. Clarence Leo Fender are property of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc. and may not be used in any commercial capacity without prior approval. For enquiries regarding the use of the "Leo Fender" name, likeness or signature, please contact us. G&L is not associated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
- PICKUPS: Two G&L Bi-coil Alnico pickups
- BODY WOOD: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
- NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L 1 5/8" Medium C with 9 1/2" radius
- FRETS: Medium Jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
- BRIDGE: G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- ELECTRONICS: G&L MJ-spec 18v preamp, volume, pan, +/-14dB 3-band boost/cut EQ with center detents
- CASE: deluxe Tolex hardshell
Ed Friedland, "The Bass Whisperer," has posted a thorough demo and review of the G&L MJ-4 bass. Ed walks you through the wide tonal variety provided by the MJ-4 and gives some great tips on dialing it in for different styles of music.
In the end, Ed confesses, "I'm just going to come right out and say it. I love this bass! I've been playing it on gigs now for several months, and it just makes me happy. It does everything I want a jazz bass to do, and it does a whole lot more. And, it does it all really well."
Bass Player Magazine on the MJ-4:
"I loved the feel of the satin #12 neck; it's a great mid-point between the P and J profile"
"The bass sounded like a great active J with exceptional note clarity, punch, and a flexible EQ system"
"The preamp is powerful, and seems well tuned to the pickup response"
"The MJ-4 is an excellent addition to the world of active J basses, and considering its champion bloodlines and U.S.-built pedigree, the bass not only stands out as a bargain compared to imports of the same price (or higher), it gives its siblings a run for their money."
Pros: Punchy active J-Bass tone, great build quality, competitively priced.
Bottom Line: The G&L MJ-4 is a top-notch American-made J-style 4-string at a price that's hard to beat.